Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Is Pope Francis Promoting Sin?

That's the gist of an article by Harvard School of Government professor Lant Pritchett, and his thought-provoking argument will resonate with many conservatives and make a few liberals angry.
By dwelling on inequality, the pope is promoting envy. The Catholic Church, I had always understood, disapproves of envy, deeming it one of the seven deadly sins. I would have expected Francis to urge people to think of themselves in relation to God and to their own fullest potential. Encouraging people to measure themselves against others only leads to grief. Resenting the success of others is a sin in itself.
Pritchett cites chapter and verse to buttress his argument on the sin of envy, among them references to Cain and Abel, the Ten Commandments, and Annanias and Sapphira. The self-described "full-time preacher of economics" continues:
I am all for reducing poverty. I’ve spent most of my career working on that issue. I’m all for economic growth that’s inclusive and that raises the productivity and incomes of the poorest. I’m for social justice and attacking inequities. I’m against the privilege and corruption that denies opportunities to others. I am all for fairness, not least in economic affairs, and for state intervention when necessary to serve that purpose.

What I’m against is talking about “inequality” as if that term denoted any of those concerns. Poverty matters; injustice matters. Mere inequality is beside the point. [snip]

It’s argued most wealth ... comes not from creating value in a competitive market but from abuse of power, manipulation of markets or the entrenched advantages of inherited wealth. A lot of wealth surely does arise in that way. But this isn’t an argument against my point; it’s precisely my point. When we complain about inequality in the abstract we aren’t thinking about what is or isn’t fair or just or equitable. Those distinctions turn on the process that caused the inequality. So let’s stop talking about inequality and talk directly about the things we ought to care about: absolute deprivation, abusive power, rigged markets and unearned privilege.
Read his full article, Why is Pope Francis Promoting Sin?

No comments:

Post a Comment